Friday, February 25, 2005

I Love Technology But


I’m not a numbers guy.


I can tell you pot odds to the “inth” degree and decipher implied odds and even pot equity. Why? I have it all written down right beside me in a chart I can reference anytime it’s needed. That’s one of the advantages of sitting here in my chair, watching the screen. I can have all this information around me.

I have Poker Tracker and Game Time Plus 1.4 and use it to my full advantage. I love it. I get exited when I see "Update Available" and have to get it downloaded even if it is fixes or adds to a site I don't play at. Ok, I'll admit it, I'm an update junkie.

I take time out during the day to take notes on my opponents and check out my play as well. I rely on these notes to make decisions when I play. All that helps tremendously when I am up against a tough decision. I know I can contribute money saved on the notes I have on how people play certain hands.

All that being said, I'm not on my game unless I have a "feel" for it and I am in the flow of the game. Maybe this is because I am not a numbers guy. I need a feel for the way the game is going, the betting patterns, the players chat, ect. I like a chatty table, I don't chat myself but there is a lot of information in a chat if you pay attention. Even if they are not talking about poker. That is for another post though.

I have come to beleive that is what contributes to my poor starts and strong finishes. I have posted before how I inevitably start out in the hole and make my way back. I have tried to work on that and figure out why. I think for me, I have to get comfortable with the table. Once I play for a while and get into the flow, things start to come around. Even with a table where people jump in and out, it usually is just one or two at a time and I seem to quickly adjust to the new people.

I have started to play extremely tight in the first 15-30 minutes and that has helped a lot. I actually will switch tables now if I can't get into the flow. Once I get into the flow at one table I add another. I have played over two tables but haven't really enjoyed it, ABC poker isn't fun for me. Two tables I can get into OK but over that just isn't enjoyable.

Why am I sharing this? One reason is because I can :) the other is that the last 4-6 weeks have been profitable for me. Not every session but every week has come out in the positive. I can't contribute that to better than average cards or good run. It's better play on my part. Not because I have become a better poker player overnight but I beleive because I have found a comfort level at the tables and it has allowed me to use all the tools I have learned both on the technology front and the phycological front.

I don't know if this is another level that my game has reached or if it is something that should have already happened, I missed it along the way and it is now just catching up but it's working and I like it.


Till Next Time!

No comments: